EB SHOP BLOGS: WORCESTER | NASHUA | NATICK | DANVERS | WEB BLOG | MEGABLOG

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

YOBEAT




It's been 10 years now since this original write up of Last Call from Brooke Geery. Sunapee was a total crap shoot for us. However, we pretty much achieved what we were hoping too with Last Calls birth at the time. It was for fun. Those of us that were close friends and many who are now basically extended family to Eastern Boarder, left with big smiles on our faces. With ten years under our belts, the event has grown a bit but still has a nice easy feeling about it. I remembered that I had seen this old write up a while ago while doing a random Last Call search on the great interweb. Hoping to find other old pictures I contacted Brooke recently and we were only able to get two of the three pictures that ran with the write up. If anyone is reading this that has footage or other pictures from Sunapee, I would be stoked to get to check them out. Also from when we were doing it at Ragged.

Here was part of the email with Brooke the other day:
Hey Andy!
I totally forgot about that. Crazy to think it's the same event. And hey, I do believe i called it "The sickest of all the March E.C.Q.P. contests."
I'm not sure why that photo of Scotty isnt working, but i pulled it off the backend and it's attached. The bad news is I feel like photos from that era that didn't make the site are unretrievable. They are probably on zip disks on my parents house somewhere, but yeah. I also sort of don't think i took very many photos as i was being totally bitter about the lack of beer (as you can probably see from the story)


So here's what she could retrieve along with the original story. In the past few years we have still had Brooke around for the ride and the write ups are a lot better thankfully. ( Brooke ... Make sure you catch me for our 11th season. I'll be sure to get you those beers it takes for better reviews haha )

Brian Barb hitting the over vert box in the pipe.
John Comeau on the 1/4 pipe.

Sunapee's Last Call
by Brooke Geery
On Sunday, March 25th, Sunapee NH held what was hailed as a "drunken debauchery" called Last Call. The recipe was as follows: throw together a few jumps; prop a box up with 2x4's next to the halfpipe; and build a wall looking thing at the bottom of the halfpipe and call it a quaterpipe. Then tell the kids that live at the Blue Lodge that there will be free beer, offer $500 for first place and you have it, an end-of-the-year east coast contest.
But wait, this isn't Waterville Valley, and there is an open-container law because Sunapee lies on a State Park. So, get rid of the beer, except for Matt Gormley and Tim Karpinski sneaking them in the woods. Then get rid of anyone's desire to hit a jump, or a quarterpipe for that matter, and it becomes a session on the box.
And that's what it was, at least for the little while I was there for. They did eventually coerce some people to hit a super rock star kicker, and I think Nick Francke won that. Brian Barb ripped off skateboarding the most successfully, winning the box competition. I'm not really sure who won the quarterpipe portion, but it may or may not have been John Chomo. Finally, in the slowest halfpipe in history contest, the winner was Michael Birch.
So that's it. The best part of the contest was my joke which involved someone asking me what the hell I was doing there, and me replying, "I heard this was going to be sick, so I flew back for it." This was especially funny because the real quarterpipe contest and the US Open were the week before.


If you haven't looked at YOBEAT before you're missing out on some pretty funny shred reporting.

NOTE: According to Mr. Brian Norton, Last Call will be bumped up a week this year since the Open is moving up a week. Stay tuned for the actual date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweater, boat, and your writing.