EB SHOP BLOGS: WORCESTER | NASHUA | NATICK | DANVERS | WEB BLOG | MEGABLOG

Monday, April 7, 2008

Bill Enos :: WVA


EB team riders Pat Moore, Danny Garrity, Tanner Pendleton, and many others were once just the little kids on the hill like anyone else. They did however have an opportunity to do something unique when they were still young which was to go to school and train at the Waterville Valley BBTS. Every year a lucky group of kids between 10 - 18 yrs old spend their winters under the watchful eyes of the coaches and staff at Waterville Valley NH. One coach tends to come up over and over when Waterville's mentioned and that's former US Snowboard Team member Bill Enos. I'm not going to tell you I know more than you about Bill because I really don't, but after watching him at the park this past week and seeing a bit of how he works, I figured it was time to learn a little more about the man who has helped shape some of the best snowboarders ever to come out of the North East.

BUB: I wanted to pick your brain a bit about what's going on over there at Waterville and where you got your start. We know you have been there for a few years coaching, but where and when did you get involved with just being a rider yourself?
BILL: 100 years ago I grew up skiing, back then there were two choices racing and Freestyle skiing. I was drawn to freestyle because it so different, I competed in Aerials, moguls and ballet. My kids still rip on me a little because I did ballet skiing (now everyone knows) I’m dumb – well anyways the only event I ever went to Nationals for freestyle skiing was Aerials. I did shitty but had a good time. Years latter I was working construction in NY and me and a buddy decided to make a ghetto board out of scrapes from the job site. We did nothing that day except make two boards. When they were done we tested them in a local park, and I was hooked. I went and bought Burton Elite and never looked back. The story gets pretty deep for a while, lets just say I was a screwed up kid that needed to get back on the right track so I moved to Waterville Valley NH to work and ride. So I got a job cleaning the lodge so I could ride all day. I rode everyday met some cool people and progressed to a point where I was ready to compete. Next thing I knew I was at Nationals in Oregon where I won the overall for my age group. Years later I was named to the US snowboard team where I mainly raced, its odd that I raced, coming from a freestyle ski background but I really enjoyed it and don’t regret it. It is the basics on riding and should never be forgot. These days I enjoy learning tricks riding soft boots.

How can you compare professional snowboard competition now to how it was when you were out there competing, and is there an event that you really look forward too in particular that your riders partake in?
Competition hasn’t changed much from when I stopped; there are so many talented riders from the past and riding now. Everything is getting bigger - pipes jumps
I always looked forward to the US open as a rider and so do my kids now


There are quite a few riders from your program that have made their mark in the snowboard world. Who's really stood out in your mind as someone that was a total underdog and worked particularly hard to get to where they are?
Underdog – I think are whole team as always been full of underdogs, they work their tails off. The one that sticks out the most would definitely be Chaz Guldmond. He was always a little in Pats shadow, Pat has always been ridiculous. He just kept working at it and the sky’s the limit for him now.

As a coach what's the hardest part of working with the kids day in and day out, and what do you find most rewarding?
Working with kids never gets old, they help keep me young. I never want to be a coach that doesn’t progress, so I listen to them and they listen to me – it’s the only way to move forward.

What's the typical day like for your crew? How do the kids balance school and riding there and what happens if their not making the grades on and off the hill?
Our typical day at my house starts with me waking the boys up and me yelling at Wes to do his homework. The kids that stay with me all home school, so they do there studies from 8 to 11 then we head up and ride from 12 to 4, then it’s off to workout till 6. Dinner at 6 and then Rock Band for a couple of hours. For the kids that go to the Academy they do their studies from 8 to 12 with teachers and have a study period from 6-8. If you are behind on your studies you are not allowed to ride till your caught up.

Waterville has been known as a mountain that's shown great support to riders over the years, in particular when it comes to building parks. The original boneyard was one of my favorite places to ride as a kid. The staff at WV has always been outstanding when it comes to shop support too. Besides a paycheck what is it about WV that keeps you there?
The Bone yard was very progressive for it’s time, Stimilon did a great job - I liked it two. I believe Matt Gromley was around then, he was ahead of his time and kept it rolling. I traveled a lot then. So I missed a few years. Mike Bettera took it to a new level when he took over and now Luke Mathison and his crew are keeping it real. What keeps me here – good question – it’s the kids – but someday I would like to build progression parks tailored to our coaching, so who knows maybe someday I will get a chance to do that somewhere.

One thing that tells us you're doing something right is the support that your kids give back to you. Your name gets dropped in a lot of thank you's and everyone's wearing 525 gear. What's up with 525 East?
525-east gear was something my friend Stern and I started, but it is really hard to start a clothing company because you need a ton of money. So right now I think it is about having something to believe in and something to be a part of. It may never make it, but in some ways it already has. We have formed a family. If anyone is looking for an artist Stern is your man – cutting edge shit

Is there anything you have planned for the future that you could share with us before you sign off? Anyone you want to give a shout out too? Any Presidential forecast? Favorite color?
Future plans would be to continue to work hard and stay creative, our lives change in so many ways as we grow older, and I just feel lucky I can be apart of all the riders’ lives that have come through our program.

Shout outs – all the college riders that have stomped the grounds of WV and influenced young riders styles, I know Loon is the cool place to be for the college kids right now, but I miss them coming by once in awhile. Who wants to be cool anyhow – it seems like a ton of work.
Presidential forecast – I think Pat Moore would do a good job
Color – Black
Music – Dylan
Best person I know – My wife

I think the biggest thrill in life is to be able pass along your knowledge to someone else and give them something to believe in. Hopefully this carries on for generations at WVA and 525 east long after I’m gone.



"the most important thing I can say is don’t be afraid to screw up, everyone has and no one is perfect. Work hard and good things will happen!"


FOR MORE INFO VISIT:
Waterville Academy Website
Waterville Terrain Park Site
525east

1 comment:

Eastern Boarder Danvers said...

I think this is the first interview on the blogs, RAD! I like the new layout too.