EB SHOP BLOGS: WORCESTER | NASHUA | NATICK | DANVERS | WEB BLOG | MEGABLOG

Thursday, August 6, 2009

OLD PHOTOS OF THE DAY

I took this shot in Maximus of Kevin Day around 1988-90 I think. Kevin is one of the true skate pioneers of New England. He's been skating much longer than anyone reading this has probably been alive. ( since 1976 ) Part of the reason he's been able to skate for so many years was due to his own creation of custom made pads. "Pain Cheaters" Are as burly as they come. All you had to do was give him your measurements and he sewed them up for you with custom colors too. The other shot was from 1986 in the infamous C-Bowl across the street from Maximus in Cambridge. I had never really skated it but heard about it for a long time ..when we rolled in there I was blown away by the session that was going down. Forgive me if names are forgotten or blown, but I believe Frank Lannon, "Onion Head or Glue head? ", Sean Mclean? Kevin, and a couple others were there that day. I had no idea who they were being younger and from out of town, but the photos I shot that day are some of my favorite most prized old shots I have ever taken. It was really a wake up call to me as to just how punk rock and insane skating is. The stoke and vibe in that bowl was purely electric. It was so long before anyone gave a rats ass about skating besides the handful of skaters that everyone misunderstood and despised, that makes it so memorable. Skating is still as raw and gnarly as ever, but it's so disguised by the fashion show, ads, and mainstream media circus now that it'll never have the same feel. You just had to be there to understand what I'm saying. Kevin Day...amazing.....TOTAL respect. Bub


1 comment:

hans said...

Good one Bub. Keep 'em coming.